Sylvia Lim Swee Lian
林瑞莲 / சில்வியா லிம் சுவீ லியன்
- Sylvia was a police officer and litigation lawyer before joining Temasek Polytechnic for 12 years as a lecturer and manager of its continuing education programmes.
- She became Non-Constituency MP after the 2006 General Election and won Aljunied GRC with her WP team in the 2011 and 2015 GE.
- In her three terms in Parliament, she has regularly spoken on government Bills and issues of public interest. Notable instances include questioning the need to raise the Goods and Services Tax and scrutinising Constitutional amendments for reserved Presidential elections.
- She was the first Chairman of Aljunied-Hougang Town Council after the 2011 GE, the first-ever opposition town of GRC scale, leading the transition in challenging circumstances. After handing over the Chairmanship in 2015, she was appointed Vice-Chairman, where she focused on finance and estate matters.
- Since 2011, she has served in Serangoon division, Aljunied GRC. Through various ground activities, she has been privileged to know many residents, who have been a source of inspiration, encouragement and constructive criticism.
Candidate information available in other languages here.
Experience with WP
- MP, Serangoon Division, Aljunied GRC (2011 – present)
- Party Chair since 2003, Member of Central Executive Committee
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), National University of Singapore
- Master of Laws, University College London
- Master of Science (Criminal Justice), Michigan State University
- Postgraduate Diploma in International Relations, Queen Mary University London (Pending Award)
- Member of Parliament and Advocate and Solicitor
Hopes for Singapore
- That inequality in society be mitigated and citizens see each other as equals.
- That Singaporeans guard against groupthink and step forward to chart Singapore’s destiny.